Professor, Department of Aerospace Engineering, Indian Institute of Science
Chairman, Centre of Excellence in Hypersonics • Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
Area of Research Activity :
Experimental hypersonics and Propagation of shock waves in complex media
|Degree/Certificate||University/Institute||Subject||Year of Passing|
|B.E. (Bachelor of Engineering)||Bangalore University, Bangalore||Mechanical Eng. (I Class with DISTINCTION)||1989|
|M.E. (Master of Engineering)||Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, Ranchi||Heat Power Eng. (I Class with DISTINCTION)||1992|
|PhD (Doctor of Philosophy)||Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore||Hypersonics||1998|
- PRATT-WHITNEY CHAIR PROFESSOR • Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore • Aug. 2016 – present
- PROFESSOR • Department of Aerospace Engineering, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore • Oct. 2011 – Present
- CHAIRMAN • Centre of Excellence in Hypersonics • Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore • Sep. 2011 – Present
- ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR • Department of Aerospace Engineering, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore • Oct. 2007 – Sep. 2011
- ASSISTANT PROFESSOR • Department of Aerospace Engineering, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore • Oct. 2001 – Sep. 2007
- VISITING LECTURER • Shock Wave Research Center, Institute of Fluid Science, Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan • Apr. 1999 – Sep. 2001
Honours and Awards :
- Alumni Award for Excellence in Engineering Research, IISc, 2017
- Technology Excellence Award, To Super-Wave Technology Pvt. Ltd. by Indian Technology Congress for developing shock wave based innovative technologies 2017.
BESTPaper Award presented to papertitled “Experiments in Supersonic Gaseous Ejector using 2D PIV Technique”, 31st International Symposium on Shock Waves, Nagoya, Japan, July 2017.
- Pratt-Whitney Chair Professorship, IISc, Bangalore, 2016
- “Eminent Engineer Award” by Institution of Engineers, 2015
BESTPaper Award presented to papertitled “Shock Tunnel Studies of the Unsteady Hypersonic Flow Field Around Spiked Bodies”, 30th International Symposium on Shock Waves, Tel Aviv, Israel, July 2015.
- BEST POSTER Award presented to
papertitled “Effects of Primary Flow Mach number on the Non-Mixed Length in a Two-dimensional Supersonic Ejector”, 30th International Symposium on Shock Waves, Tel Aviv, Israel, July 2015
- “Distinguished Overseas Visitor” Invited Lectureship at Stanford University, USA, February 2015.
- “Invited Lecture” at NASA Ames Research Centre, Moffet Field, February 2015.
- Platinum Jubilee Award 2011, Institution of Engineers, Karnataka State, India
- Gold Medal in the Innovators competition organized by the DST-Lockheed Martin India Innovates Growth Programme – 2010. Three technologies (Shock Wave treatment of bamboo, Micro-blast wave assisted technologies in biological sciences and smart hypersonic drag reduction coatings) from the Laboratory for Hypersonics and Shock Wave Research have been selected among the TOP 30 technologies out of 394 applications in this programme. These technologies will now be provided with
professionalbusiness plan for commercialization by Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industries and IC2 Institute, Uni. Of Texas at Austin.
- ASI Award – Awarded by Astronautical Society of India for significant contributions to Rocket Related Technologies, 2010.
- Delivered the Plenary Lecture in the prestigious 27th International Shock Wave Symposium held in St. Petersburg, Russia during July 19-24, 2009. This is the official symposium of International Shock Wave Institute, Sendai, Japan.
Dr.Satish Dhawan Young Engineer Award 2008 by The Govt. of Karnataka for exceptional contributions to Aerospace Science & Technology.
- Distinguished Alumnus Award 2008, awarded by the Bangalore Institute of Technology Alumni Association, Bangalore.
- Nagarjuna Research Fellowship for THREE years from 2008 by M/s Nagarjuna Chemicals and Fertilizers Pvt. Ltd., Hyderabad in recognition of the work that has been carried out in the area of industrial applications of shock waves.
- Royal Society of Engineering, UK Distinguished Visitor, University of Manchester, May – June 2008.
- Simon Jones Industrial Fellowship, University of Manchester, October – November 2007.
Dr.Biren Roy Space Science Award for exception developing Electric Discharge based Flow Visualization technique by Aeronautical Society of India, 2006.
- BEST POSTER AWARD presented to the paper titled “Effect of gas injection on drag and surface heat transfer rates for a 30 deg. semi-apex angle blunt body flying at Mach 5.75”, at the 24th International Symposium on Shock Waves, Beijing, China, July 2005.
- BEST POSTER AWARD presented to the paper titled “Shock waves assisted Agrobacterium transformation as a gene transfer method”, at the 25th International Symposium on Shock Waves, Bangalore, India, July 2005.
- Visiting Lectureship, Tohoku University, Japan during 1999 – 2001.
- JRD Tata Fellowship for being the outstanding PhD student during 1996-98 in IISc, Dept.of Aerospace Engineering.
- Student Counsellor (2004-2013)
- Member of Institute health committee
- Member of Senate committee for
- Member of Institute web committee
- Member of Employees assessment/promotion committee
- Convener of Aerospace Department Faculty Search Committee
- Convener of Aerospace Research Admission Committee (aerodynamics)
- Member management committee, Joint Advanced Technology
- Convener, Platinum Jubilee Celebrations, Department of Aerospace Engineering
- Establishment of
world classhypersonic and shock wave research facilities.
- Several patents and research publications in the area of hypersonic flow control and shock wave dynamics
- Development of several industrial applications of shock waves such as oil extraction, preservation impregnation in bamboos, vaccine delivery, gene transfer, bio-film and diabetic wound healing devices.
- Establishment of DRDO-IISc Centre of Excellence in Hypersonics.
- Establishment of a Start-up company “SUPERWAVE TECHNOLOGY PVT. LTD” with equity participation from IISc to commercialize shock wave based technologies/devices
- K. Takayama, G. Jagadeesh and S. Shibasaki, “High-speed rotor device for removal of particles from solid surfaces using shock waves”, Japanese Patent Number 3445982, June 2003
- K. Takayama, A. Takahashi, J. Kawagishi, G. Jagadeesh and T. Yoshimoto, “Method and an apparatus for generating shockwave, a method and an apparatus for accelerating particles, an apparatus for delivering drugs and a method and an apparatus for delivering DNA”, US Patent No. 6,767,743, B2, July 27, 2004
- G. Jagadeesh, “Devices for treatment of sample using shock waves and methods thereof” Indian Patent No. 230530, 2009
- Vinayak Kulkarni, G. M. Hegde, G. Jagadeesh, E. Arunan and K.P.J. Reddy “Novel technique for hypersonic drag control using heat addition in the shock layer” Indian Patent 1583/CHE/2007, 2007
- G. Jagadeesh “Apparatus and method for genetically transforming cells” Indian Patent 256/CHE/2009, 2009
- G. Jagadeesh “Apparatus and method for genetically transforming cells” US Patent 8,232,093, 2012
- G. Jagadeesh, T.G. Sitharam, K.B. Akhilesh and K.P.J. Reddy “A System and method for Fracking of Shale Rock using Shock Wave” Indian Patent Application 4633/CHE/2013, 2013
- G. Jagadeesh “A System and method for generating shock waves using solar energy” Indian Patent Application 2525/CHE/2014, 2014
- G. Jagadeesh, “A system and method for opening of valve in shock tube applications”, Indian Patent 2524/CHE/2014, 2015
- G. Jagadeesh, “Shock Wave Assisted Fracking characterized by Explosive Boiling of Fracking Fluid”, PCT 201641010327, 2016
- G. Jagadeesh, “Shock/Blast Wave Assisted Fracking using Oxy-Hydrogen Gas Mixture Detonation”, PCT 201641013078, 2016
- G. Jagadeesh, “Calibration Rig for Shock / Blast Wave Assisted Fracking”, Indian Patent 3542/CHE/2015, E-2/2358/CHE/2016, 2016
- G. Jagadeesh, “A System for generating Shock / Blast Waves using Shock/Blast tubes and a method thereof”, Indian Patent 3543/CHE/2015, E-6/102/2016/CHE, 2016
- G. Jagadeesh, “A System and method for generating Shock / Blast Waves using High Speed Plunger”, Indian Patent Application, 3534/CHE/2015, E-2/2364/2016/CHE, 2016
- G. Jagadeesh, “A System and method for generating Shock / Blast Waves using High Power Laser Beams”, Indian Patent 3535/CHE/2015, E-2/2360/2016/CHE, 2016
- G. Jagadeesh, “A System and method for generating Shock / Blast Waves using Piezo-Ceramic Crystals”, Indian Patent Application, 3536/CHE/2015, E-2/2359/2016/CHE, 2016
List of books and other educational material developed :
- Proceedings of the Eighth International Workshop on Shock tube Technology (IWSTT), in CD form Editors: KPJ Reddy and G. Jagadeesh, September 2002.
- Proceedings of the International Workshop on Contemporary Research in Hypersonics and Shock Waves (IWCRHSW 2005), in CD form Editors: KPJ Reddy and G. Jagadeesh, January 2005.
- Shock Waves, Proceedings of the 25th International Symposium on Shock Waves (ISSW25), Editors: G. Jagadeesh, E. Arunan and KPJ Reddy, Universities Press, 2006.
- Fellow – Indian National Academy of Engineering (FNAE), New Delhi, India since 2010
- Fellow – Royal Aeronautical Society (FRAeS), U.K. since 2010
- Associate Fellow – American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AFAIAA), USA, U.K. since 2010
- Honorary Professor, School of Engineering, University of Glasgow, UK – Since August 2014
- Adjunct Professor, Defense Institute for Advanced Technology, Pune, India – Since 2013
- Elected Executive Committee Member representing India, International Shock Wave Institute (ISWI), Japan since 2011
- Founding Secretary, Society for Shock Wave Research (SSWR), India
- Founding Member, International Shock Wave Institute (ISWI), Japan
- Member International Advisory Committee, 26th (Aachen, Germany, 2007), 27th (St. Petersburg, Russia, 2009), 28th (Manchester, U.K., 2011), 29th (Wisconsin, USA, 2013), 30th (Tel Aviv, Israel), 31st (To be held in Nagoya, Japan) International Symposium on Shock Waves (ISSW)
- Co-Chairman, 25th International Symposium on Shock Waves, Bangalore, India, 2005
- Founding Editor of the International Journal of Aerospace Innovations published from UK since 2010
- Editorial Board, Shock Waves International Journal
- Editorial Board, Current Science
- Editorial Board, International Journal of Sustainable Aviation
- National Co-coordinator, Aerodynamics Panel of Aeronautical Research and Development Board, DRDO, New Delhi
- Member, Shock Waves and Detonics Panel, Armament Reserach and Development Board, DRDO, New Delhi
- Member, Divisional Scientific Committee, Experimental Aerodynamics Division, National Aerospace Laboratory, Bangalore, since 2011
- Member, Divisional Scientific Committee, National Tri-sonic Wind Tunnel Facility, National Aerospace Laboratory, Bangalore since 2011
- Member, Project review committees in ISRO, DRDO